Fifth Harmony "Reflection" REVIEW

Hi there everyone, another day, another blog post! Today's post is a review on American girl group "Fifth Harmony's" debut album Reflection. As you may or may not know, I absolutely love music and would love to incorporate into my blog, this being one of the ways I do so.

For those that don't know, "Fifth Harmony" are an American girl group, originally formed on the platform "X-Factor" and have since then sky-rocketed in the US after their X-Factor debut with now over 1.5 million Twitter followers, and over 3 million followers combined. Their debut EP "Better Together" went to #2 on the iTunes charts and #6 on the Billboard Top 200 chart. Since that EP being released they embarked on their very first headline tour throughout the United States and Canada. Also performing with the likes of Miley Cyrus, Austin Mahone and many more, they also currently featured on Demi Lovato's "Neon Lights" tour as one of the support acts. Their new album "Reflection is currently sitting at #34 on the Australian iTunes charts, but of course was sent straight to #1 in the US. However, with out further ado, lets get into it.

Album Cover

To the right is a photo of the album cover. I freaking love it. I think it really represents them in a "sassy" yet sleek and glamorous way and really represents some of the music that will be expected from the album. I love that they are wearing black matching with the background. I also love how the text at the bottom is very reflective and also mirrored which ties in with the title of the album. Definitely an eye catcher, especially for those who tend to "shop with their eyes."





#1: Top Down
This song I think is the absolute perfect way to open this album up. This is one of those songs that you jam to with your close friend while on a road trip. (Or at least that's how I would describe it) This song has infectious R&B inspired beats with perfect harmonisation creating the perfect "throwback" vibe and in my opinion is worthy of becoming a single. Again, this track is a great album opener getting fans prepared for a fun filled, girl power vibe album.

#2: BO$$
Boss is the second track on the album, and was their first single that they released off the album. This is definitely a confidence boosting, girl power ethic song with all its "sassy lyrics, stomping beats, clicking & drum beats. This song however did received quite a bit of backlash with the pop-culture references such as "Michelle Obama" which for me didn't bother me as I thought it was a bit of fun and still makes me feel confident and still serves its purpose.

#3Sledgehammer 
This next song is definitely up there with one of the favourites on the album. This was their second song they released from their album as a single which again became a top 40 song in the Top 100 charts. This song was actually co-written by the gorgeous Meghan Trainor who they also collaborated with later on in the album. I definitely think this is one of their best songs that still incorporate the tradition pop song qualities yet also embody love and their incredible harmonisation which serves a lot of impact.

#4: Worth It 
Fifth Harmony definitely know how to mix it up when it comes to picking songs for their album. This next one is a very urban inspired song featuring none other than Kid Ink. I feel like this song has a lot of musical influences such as Jason Derulo and Ariana Grande when they incorporate trumpets. Dinah and Camila definitely take charge of this song and drive it towards its catchy urban vibe. However, it does bother me that Kid Ink does do two of the same verses which makes the song feel "incomplete" However, either way I definitely can see this being played on radios all over the world.

#5: This Is How We Roll
This song definitely took me by surprise. When I first saw the title of the song it instantly reminded me of Katy Perry's "This Is How We Do" track. However when I started listening to this song to soon discover the electric track beats to it, it actually pleasantly surprised me. This song again reminds me of Will.I.Am 's song he did with Brittany Spears. I never pictured the girls pulling off a song like this, definitely a stand out on the album and works for me as its another favourite.

#6: Everlasting Love
Another R&B inspired song from the girls. This love song definitely show cases off all their voices, especially Dinah's who I feel we don't get to hear much throughout the singles. This song I haven't noticed myself been wanting to listen to as much as others however it is still a good song.

#7: Like Mariah 
Before I herd this track, I didn't think, nor know that the girls would be incorporating Mariah Carey's "Always Be My Baby" hit in this song. This song I feel really reflects their voices and shows off really what they are capable of even when including collaborating with well known rapper Tyga. I love that Fifth Harmony stayed true to their voices and didn't attempt to sound like Mariah when hitting her whistle tone high notes.

#8: Them Girls Be Like
 This song definitely picks up where their first single "Boss" left off with its self assuredness jam. I love that this song incorporates Mean Girls references like "You can't sit with us." This song definitely gives off a Beyonce' vibe that I love and again has made it to one of my favourite songs from the album.

#9: Reflection
Now we are up to the song that the album is based around and named after. This has to be at the top of my favourite songs from the album. I feel like this song is a overall good representation of the band, with clean vocals once again keeping to self assured theme. I can see this being a single.

#10: Suga Mama
Suga Mama is another song that is co-written by the gorgeous Meghan Trainor, which in my opinion you can definitely hear her influences. Their voices again are very clean and sleek and also get to the point that no handouts will be given by them and is definitely a warning out there to all those boys. This feisty, upbeat track is another song that I feel fits the girl-power theme of the album and again is another favourite.

#11: We Know
We Know is with out a doubt their slowest track on the entire album. There is minimal beats and production done on this track which I absolutely love and showcases their voices, however more specifically Lauren's voice which I absolutely love. AGAIN its a favourite.

Bonus Tracks Include

#12: Going Nowhere 
This song has a special flare to it, if you listen to it, you will understand what I mean. This commanding song has great memorable lines that are bound to get stuck in your head.

#13: Body Rock
I do have to admit, this song isn't my favourite song on the album. This dance song definitely has a faster tempo compared to all the other songs featured on the album however for me feels flat. Despite the fact it is very catchy chorus, the versus for me feel like they are missing something that I am yet to figure out.

#14: Brave Honest Beautiful
To close out the album, the girls joined with Meghan Trainor to create this track. The confidence message again rings throughout the song however its not a song I find myself listening to constantly and is not a favourite however I do feel like this does justice to the ending of the album with its empowerment stance.

It took "Fifth Harmony" two years to develop this album, and in my opinion is definitely worth the wait. I was never really a giant fan of Fifth Harmony due to my overwhelming love for bands like Little Mix and more however this album definitely makes a statement and defines them as a band. This is definitely the right sounding album for them and something that they should be very proud of. There is no doubt Fifth Harmony are going to be backed by their heavily devoted fan base which will make them very hard to beat in future award events. My overall opinion of the album? Its great, some songs I question however overall, is a great catchy album with tracks that I will continue to play and love!

(IF you have any over album's that you would love me to review please don't hesitate to leave me a comment, I love hearing new music.)

~ ItsEmilee

Comments

Popular Posts